Whats you favorite hand gun maker?

Go down

Whats you favorite hand gun maker?

Post  SGT.Hartman on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:39 pm

I know I will get alot of flack for this but. . I love Taurus guns, I have six Taurus guns and never once had any problems with them..
SGT.Hartman
Admin

View user profile http://northernmichigantac.all-up.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Whats you favorite hand gun maker?

Post  bigjohnmcvicker on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:20 pm

When it comes to semi-auto I love Kimber or Taurus. When it comes to revolvers I love a Smith and Wesson
bigjohnmcvicker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksdaddy06 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:16 pm

I like em all!!
Seriously, I too like my Taurus auto's and revolvers, I have had several S&W's over the years, but none currently. I prefer a Ruger revolver over a Smith, I just like the ergos and the triggers better, but that's just me. My current carry's are Springfield XD45 4", Taurus PT145 Mil Pro, Ruger LCR, AMT Backup 45acp and a Kel Tec P32, but that seems to change monthly LOL. Honestly, the only pistol manufacturer that I ever had a problem with was a Sig, bad experience and bad customer service, I know that others will argue that, but that's my personal experience with Sig.
Heck, if it goes boom, I'd probably like it!
jacksdaddy06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Thats tough,I love em all as well, HMMMMMMM.. scratch ..I.M.I. desert big bird, HK, Colt, S&W 29, and my sig is still poppin' Better knock on wood......
Ded-nutz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohnmcvicker on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Magnum Research makes awesome guns...
bigjohnmcvicker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksdaddy06 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm not knockin Sigs, I know they make a good quality firearm, but I know I'll never buy another one. The Taurus line gets beat up by the gun snobs on a daily basis on some other gun sites, but I have NEVER had an issue of any kind with any of the dozen or so Taurus' that I've owned over the years. I just recently (Monday) bought a used PT145 Millenium Pro in stainless and tan, because I wanted something a little smaller to carry at times than my my 4" XD45. The PT comes in 10 oz lighter, an 1" shorter, 1/8" slimmer and 1.25" shorter at the grip than my XD, and I only loose 3rds (11 instead of 14). I love the sights and the grip, and this thing shoots great, I'm real happy with it so far. Don't get me wrong, nothing against the XD, but it sure is nice to have a little less weight on my hip and not really sacrifice very much as far as capacity goes.
Like I said, I like em all. Recently I've started collecting Derringers and pocket pistols, they don't cost much, they're fun to shoot and you can find some real oddball guns when you start looking, it's fun. I'll be looking for some at the Petoskey gun show this weekend.
jacksdaddy06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:15 am

Dont worry bout the sig thing, there is good and not so good in everything in the markets today we all know that! And when theres poor service behind any product That usually doesn't stay hidden for long. and having forums such as this to point out these things is how it needs to work. Never shot a taurus but they look fine to me, my nephew shoots his all the time i know this because he's always over to visit and bum ammo from his Favorite uncle! Thats cool though at least I get to see the little punk Laughing
Have fun at the show and good luck with the deals, and maybe spread the word of the new forum....out
Ded-nutz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimber man on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:44 pm

I don't really have a favorite I own many different brands. I have owned almost all of them at one time or another. I would have to lean to my kimbers as favorites only because I love me some 1911's!!!
kimber man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksdaddy06 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:23 am

I love my 1911's also. At one time I had 3, but I'm down to just one for now. I've had Paras, Springfields, Colt and Norinco, the only one that remains is the Norinco. I bought this new in 93 for $239, and it has been the most reliable handgun I've ever owned.
Aside from a trigger job shortly after I bought it and a new set of grips, it's pretty much stock. Back when I lived downstate in Howell, it put two does in the freezer during deer seasons down there. I thought when I started carrying that I'd carry my Para OPS compact, and I did for a while, but then I bought a 4" XD45, same weight as my 1911 but 14rd instead of 8, so the Para got traded for my 454 Casull, plus that Para was way too pretty to get beat up carrying it all the time.
Last fall I bought one of those Mech Tech systems for my 1911, turns it into a carbine, let me tell ya, the performance you gain in FPS and energy is awesome, and accurate as hell. Literally takes about 30 seconds to install it and you now have something you can hunt with out to 100yds. I sighted it in with Winchester 185 gr Silver tip Hollow pts, at 50 yds I had 5 shots touching each other, no kidding, and the expansion you get at the higher velocity was almost .75 inches, I haven't chronied it yet, but I will soon.
jacksdaddy06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimber man on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 am

Funny you still have the Norinco my friend just picked one up a few weeks ago. From my understanding they do not import them anymore? Just part of the stuff he dug up on them when he was looking to get it. I do know that for a cheaper 1911 they are shooters. His is the one that is 100% swappable with colt parts. I guess some are and some are not. I always wanted to shoot a deer with my 45acp but never have. I always figured it would get the job done. I have given up on that idea I have turned into a black powder junkie for deer the day I got this.
[img][/img]
kimber man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksdaddy06 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:10 pm

That is one bad BP pistol!!
I love hunting with the smokepole myself, but let's face it, these modern guns aren't the challenge of the old sidelock rifles I started with 25 years ago. I have a 2002 model CVA Optima Pro, this thing is crazy accurate, the farthest kill I've had was at 190 yds on state land behind my old house in Howell, I can still remember that shot as if it were this morning, mid December, cold, fresh 3" of snow on the ground, about 10am, still hunting an oak ridge and saw 5 deer bedded 2 ridges over, picked the largest doe and fired, she never even left her bed, damn that was cool!!
jacksdaddy06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimber man on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:48 am

I figured someone would like my hawkeye!! I agree just some sort of satisfaction about getting it done with the smoke pole. I had the cva optima also I sold it last year when I stopped using it and dedicated all my gun hunting to my pistol. I love this thing. I love even more when I skin this thing out at the range or when I hunt a new spot and people are amazed such a pistol even exists. I would love to find another one but they are pretty hard to come by anymore.
kimber man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksdaddy06 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:33 pm

That is a very cool looking weapon, is it made by Knight? I almost bought a Knight ML pistol at the Lansing gun show a while back, but I passed on it, now I regret it.
The only deer I got this year fell to my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, I traded for this gun in Oct 09 and after realizing how accurate it is, decided to spend the majority of the season with it. I put a scope on it to get the full benefit of the caliber, and believe me, this is one flat shooting pistol. I've killed several deer and a couple hogs with a 44 mag pistol in the past, and it got the job done, but I was never overly impressed with the knockdown of that caliber in a pistol. But this .454, jeezsh, it's a whole different animal. I ended up filling one of my antlerless tags on 11/23 with it, the shot was only about 60 yards, but when I touched off that 300 grain Jacketed Flat Point, that deer hit the ground like the rug was pulled out from underneath it, not even a flinch, I was impressed. I'm pretty sure the Ruger will be going afield again next season.
jacksdaddy06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  joe_robi on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 am

colt is the best
joe_robi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimber man on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:02 am

jacksdaddy06 wrote:That is a very cool looking weapon, is it made by Knight? I almost bought a Knight ML pistol at the Lansing gun show a while back, but I passed on it, now I regret it.
The only deer I got this year fell to my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, I traded for this gun in Oct 09 and after realizing how accurate it is, decided to spend the majority of the season with it. I put a scope on it to get the full benefit of the caliber, and believe me, this is one flat shooting pistol. I've killed several deer and a couple hogs with a 44 mag pistol in the past, and it got the job done, but I was never overly impressed with the knockdown of that caliber in a pistol. But this .454, jeezsh, it's a whole different animal. I ended up filling one of my antlerless tags on 11/23 with it, the shot was only about 60 yards, but when I touched off that 300 grain Jacketed Flat Point, that deer hit the ground like the rug was pulled out from underneath it, not even a flinch, I was impressed. I'm pretty sure the Ruger will be going afield again next season.
Yes it is a knight. A knight hawkeye they were only made for about two years so they are rather hard to come by. I have a friend who also hunts with 454 and I agree that thing is no joke. He has dumped deer out to about 120 with his. If the bullet does not get the deer the percussion will. I considered getting a big bore pistol until I stumbled on the knight in a gun shop here in town. It was new on the shelf. I was in love with it and finally after letting it sit there for a year or so I gave it a home with me. I wish I would have bought it the first day I saw it. I have had it for two years now and three deer have meet their fate at the bad end of this 50cal.
kimber man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksdaddy06 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:47 am

Hunting should be fun and challenging, and using a handgun makes it just that.
I carried my Ruger this year in a Bondoleer style holster, talk about comfortable! Leaves both my hands free, keeps the gun ready in an instant and it's easy to put on and take off.
Yeah, the muzzle blast on the 454 is unreal, I found out the hard way when I killed that deer, I was in a box blind and couldn't quite get the bbl all the way out the shooting window because the deer were spooky and kept eyeballing the blind, so I ended up firing with the bbl about 6" from the window, YIKES!! I never wear hearing protection when hunting, but if I use this gun in a box blind again, I will be, it sounded like a grenade went off in there!
Is that Hawkeye rated for magnum loads (150 grains) or standard? With that short bbl, I gotta believe you'd be getting alot of unburned powder with a magnum load. How far of a shot would you be comfortable taking with it?
jacksdaddy06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kimber man on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 am

No it is not rated for magnum. It is only rated for 70 grain. It is the knight MK 85 rifle action cut down to the pistol length. The rifle is rated for 100 grain so I bumped up to 80 grain of powder. I am shooting a Hornady 240 grain 44mag JHP with 80grain powder. With that set up I have shot out to 75 yards I guess I would do 100 yards if I was feeling saucy. In my hunting area a 60 yard shot is about the max. I have not played with different loads yet the set up I am using is working just fine.
kimber man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jacksdaddy06 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:52 am

Yeah, why mess with a good set-up. Even up here I rarely have a shot opportunity at a deer at over 75 yds, thick conifers and hardwoods around my place. With my 454, I would take a shot out to 150 with a good rest. After I sighted it in last fall at 50yds, I set up some some water filled milk jugs at my 200 yd range just for fun. I fired 4 shots and hit 3 jugs, the miss wasn't by much, it kicked dirt up all over the jug LOL. The best part was, there was no hold over, held right on the jug, thought that was pretty cool.
jacksdaddy06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  flatapple on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:05 am

Smith & Wesson...that was the first handgun I shot. I have been a fan since. Followed close by the 1911 and Glock.
flatapple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  7th District on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:36 am

This isn't a complete list handgun manufacturers I like, it's just the ones currently at the top of my list.

Pistols: Colt, SIG Sauer, Glock

Revolvers: Colt, Smith & Wesson
7th District

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down