Northern Michigan Tactical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only

3 posters

Go down

Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only Empty Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only

Post  bigjohnmcvicker Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 pm

I just bought a used 45lc/410 Derringer dd (double barrel side by side) The left side fires fine. The problem is when I go to fire the right side it just dents the primer(which I don't like at all). There is a lever on the hammer to select which side will fire and it looks to be going all the way to that side... Nothing I can see is wrong. The head space looks to be the same between the two...Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues like this... Thanks

John
bigjohnmcvicker
bigjohnmcvicker

Back to top Go down

Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only Empty Re: Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only

Post  Ded-nutz Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Does it happen with different companies loads? reloads w/primer seat to deep, Firing pin not engaged fully, shorter pin protrusion or weak or gunked up spring? some possibilities anyway...Does the dented round fire when put back in left chamber?....Oh and I almost forgot, Welcome to the board!
Ded-nutz
Ded-nutz

Back to top Go down

Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only Empty Re: Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only

Post  bigjohnmcvicker Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:45 pm

It has "floating pins" and the round will fire in the other side and I tried several rounds with no luck... I thinking the lock the holds the barrel closed may be worn...
bigjohnmcvicker
bigjohnmcvicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:11 pm

That might be it.Is there play at the pivot point when locked up allowing more distance for pin to travel on the right side? on the floating firing pin(s) is the length the same on both, measuring pimer contact surface to the hammer contact on the rear of pin? Is there any noticable peaning to the metal any where on the floaters?
Ded-nutz
Ded-nutz

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohnmcvicker Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm

I did notice on the right side (the one not firing) that if you push the hammer into the pin (like it would if you fired it) then the pin seems to want to stick a small amount... you can almost fit a bussiness card in between the back of the barrel and the receiver when its closed there is play but not side to side so I would think both wouldnt fire and not just one of the other...I will get some pictures and post them tomorrow...
bigjohnmcvicker
bigjohnmcvicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:53 pm

How ya doin on that derringer Big John?
Ded-nutz
Ded-nutz

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohnmcvicker Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:23 pm

So I took it into a gunsmith he said "its going to cost you more to fix it than its worth..." BUMMER! Its just made from cheap metal and the lock or hold (the thing that holds it shut) is worn and is giving a small amount when you try to fire it. Guess I will hold onto it and maybe someday fix it (or at least try) I was thinking about welding it shut and notching it again but its made from cast so thats a no go... The other option is to made a bigger pin or make a collar for the pin to make it a little fatter so it closes tighter...
bigjohnmcvicker
bigjohnmcvicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:17 am

That 's an idea, is there enough metal in that area to support the larger pin? what was the gunsmith's idea for a fix?...replace? Is this one of the American derringer products?
Ded-nutz
Ded-nutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Is yours similar to this one?
Issues With a Derringer denting primer right side only Dd_41017
Ded-nutz
Ded-nutz

Back to top Go down

Post  SGT.Hartman Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:50 pm

now that's a cool looking gun...
SGT.Hartman
SGT.Hartman
Admin

https://northernmichigantac.all-up.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:49 am

Cool tidbit of info I read somewhere that these 410/45lc pistols had the last half inch of bore rifled to prevent the B.A.T.F and now "E" from some of these guns being classified as short barrel shotguns...Now thats ingenuity!! cheers
Ded-nutz
Ded-nutz

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohnmcvicker Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:36 pm

It's made by Cobray and it's the 3 inch version. The smith told me that if he were me he would try to fab up a collar for the pin the holds the barrel shut and hammer/press then pin and collar in to the gun. I have a lathe at work so I'm thinking this may be the route to take. They made parts kits which went for $50-100 but are not existent now...

Last edited by bigjohnmcvicker on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigjohnmcvicker
bigjohnmcvicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ded-nutz Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:10 pm

That ought to stiffen her up nicely...I like all the cobray stuff I picked up through the years, I have big interest in anything parkerized! What a Face
Ded-nutz
Ded-nutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down